[TYPO3-ect] Ideas to clean up TER

Rens Admiraal rens.admiraal at typo3.org
Sun Jan 29 12:31:19 CET 2012

Hi guys,

Just a few questions:

- If we want SVN / git as archive: do we also require extensions to be
in forge? And if so, doesn't it make sense to publish tags as extension
version in TER automatically? And by this requiring a solid tagging
workflow?

- What to do with extensions which are not in forge? It is now possible
to create a new forge project for an already published extensionkey...

- How can we help developers find the minimal / maximal required
version? Does it make sense to set the max version automatically to the
maximum version of the current release the developer uses to publish the
extension? For example: I upload an extension in 4.4, and the maximum
version is 4.3.99, It would make sense to set this to 4.4.99 during
publishing... (With some kind of user interaction of course)

- Does it make sense to create some automatic checks? You know for sure
an extension is not compatible with 4.7 if eregi() is used for example,
and the same can apply to certain core methods...

Just some thoughts ;-)

Regarding the other stuff in this discussion: I'd prefer not to delete
the extensions from TER, but hide them in some setting in the extension
manager. Like we had "only search reviewed extensions" before.

I've no real strong opinion on the extension keys policy, gonna follow
the people really into that :)

But I would like the notifications to developers when a new stable TYPO3
version is out, or the current maximum version is EOL. I can imagine
this is a trigger for developers to keep the extension maintained...

Greetz,
Rens

--
Rens Admiraal