[TYPO3-ect] taxonomies / categories in TYPO3

Jochen Rau j.rau at web.de
Sun Oct 14 13:00:21 CEST 2007

Hi,

I have taken a quick look at Mads extension. An it looks great!

In my opinion there are several scenarios tx_categories and tx_contagged
(see http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Contagged ) may work together.

I. Tagging and linking category titles appearing in the content

The most obvious thing is parsing the content by tx_contagged. So if a
title of a category appears in the content it will be linked to a (by
now its flat; see III.) list of categories with the description of the
category below.

To enable this feature, the fields of the table "tx_categories" must be
mapped to the fields of "tx_contagged". I have done this already and it
will be available in the TER within the next days (v0.0.15 of
tx_contagged). But fortunately another project has taken precedence
(Antonia, 2007-10-08, 2320g, 48cm ;-) ).

By now tx_contagged works "one-way":
DATABASE->PARSER->FE
But it can also be
DATABASE->PARSER->DATABASE
by adding a persistance layer.

II. Auto-categorization of pages and/or Content Elements

By means of tx_contagged it is possible to auto-assign a category to a
word or a term. So there are four different layers to be categorized:
(Site->)Page->Content Element->Term

Lets assume you have a Content Element TEXT: "The quick brown fox jumps
over the lazy collie."

And lets assume you have some Categories:
->Animal
   ->Cat
   ->Dog
   ->Other (Animal)
->Colour
   ->Red
   ->Green
   ->Blue
   ->Brown

It should be possible to inherit the categories of the child layer to
the parent layer. This could be done by a simple (or more complex)
algorithm. An example: A page is auto-assigned to the category "Animal"
if all the Content Elements on the page are assingned to a sub-category
of "Animal". And the Content Element is auto-assigned to the
sub-category "Dog" if there is at least one Term that is (manually)
assigned to the category "Dog", and that is "collie". But how to assign
a category to a term? At this point EXT:contagged can be a glue between
categories and tagging:

The term can be defined via tx_contagged and assigned to a category.
Every time a term is found on a page the current cObj is assigned to its
categories.

If the content Elements should not be auto-assigned, it can be useful to
guess the best categories to be selected by the BE_USER.

III. Enriched Glossary and enriched links

As the glossary terms defined by tx_contagged can be assigned to a
category, it's possible to list dependencies to other glossary terms
(with the same parent category or related category). This can also be
done within a tool-tip carring links to other pages.

tx_categories can also be used to get a hierarchical list of terms
defined by tx_contagged.

Overall it should be possible to generate a new kind of navigation like
"semantic menue".

That's for now. More ideas to come ;-)

Greetings
Jochen