[TYPO3-core] System and browser requirements

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Mon May 5 23:48:22 CEST 2014

Hi Jigal,

Jigal van Hemert wrote:

> You personally may ignore it any way you want, but the reality is that
> it's used in real life and that we can't ignore it.
> I haven't looked up with which IE version Windows 7 was shipped, but
> there are many larger organisations which never upgrade to a newer
> version of IE and Microsoft has always supported this in their Product
> Life Cycle policies.

Windows 7 allows to downgrade to IE8 (for XP compat).

AFAIK SP1 already ships IE9 by default. At least all pre-installed PCs have
IE9 already.

It is unrealistic that we support windows version over their full lifetime
with the lowest possible versions.
TYPO3 CMS is a web application and therefore is uses modern web standards.
If someone wants to use old browser as company standard, they should make
sure to give web workers a working web browser. IE9 is the first MS browser
that can be considered modern and standard compliant.

Even Microsoft reduces the functionality for their product Sharepoint if an
older browser like IE8 is detected. Target version is IE9+ and older
browsers need extra ActiveX (via Office 2013) plugins to fully work.

Looking at the policy of Google, they are even more strict:
They support the the latest two versions (IE10 and IE11). Yes, they already
dropped IE9 support.

> We support the current and previous major releases of Firefox, Internet
Explorer, and Safari on a rolling basis. Each time a new version is
released, we begin supporting that version and stop supporting the third
most recent version.
https://support.google.com/a/answer/33864?hl=en

I do not think that we need to put much effort into supporting users that
cannot even use Google (apps) properly.
Lets drop IE8 and support IE9+ only. This will be much less maintenance
effort for use.

Best regards
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!