[TYPO3-core] Renaming the "Clear all cache" menu item?

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Mar 20 20:41:39 CET 2014

Hi Ernesto,

> +1 to rename it, good catch, that issue also was in my mind (somewhere).
>
> The tooltip explains: "Clear all caches, including frontend caches, and
> extension-specific caches. Compile-time caches / system caches that are
> needed for TYPO3 to run are not touched."

I had never hovered over these menu items long enough to notice the
tooltips :-\ This speaks in favor of trying to find more explicit names,
since people might the tooltips.

> Difficult to put that in one or two words. Because it includes the
> "frontend caches" but also some extension caches. Maybe we could just
> the use this info for the label?

It is indeed very difficult to express with a few words. Also because
technically things are more complicated than just those 3 menu items.
The fact that "Clear all caches" also clear the frontend caches is not
due to the fact that the corresponding clear_cacheCmd does this, but
because all Core caches declared in group "pages" are also declared in
group "all". This means that a developer could very well add a "pure"
frontend cache (i.e. only in the "pages" group), that would not be
cleared by flushing "all" caches.

So let's try to formulate that.

* Flush frontend caches
** Tooltip: Clear frontend and page-related caches

I propose to keep these two unchanged, as I think they are clear enough
and it does not matter IMO whether the flushed caches belong to the Core
or to extensions.

* Flush general caches
** Tooltip: Clear frontend and page-related caches, plus some
backend-related caches.

Here I propose to change "all" into "general" and simply call those
caches "backend-related". That's a bit abstract, but I think it's enough
for users. For developers, there's Core APIs.

* Flush system caches
** Tooltip: Clear all system-related caches, including the class loader,
localization and extension configuration file caches. Rebuilding this
cache may take some time.

Mostly unchanged, I added the mention of the localization cache and just
rephrased it a bit to try and use the "cache" word less often.

What do you think?

As an aside, I find it worth noting that - looking only at
DefaultConfiguration.php - the "pages" and "all" cache groups contain
the exact same caches. So those two caches are really close on a base
setup. The workspaces system extension add a cache which is only in the
"all" group.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter