[TYPO3-core] Branching off TYPO3_6-2 in Git

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Thu Jun 12 11:20:44 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 11-6-2014 14:08, Oliver Hader wrote:
> Thanks for the question. During the ACME in April in Nuremberg we came
> up with the "Rolling Release" [1] idea and the version numbers.

> [1] http://wiki.typo3.org/Blueprints/Release

This release schedule is an improvement. We would constantly have two
LTS versions in maintenance (plus a third for a shorter while in high
priority/security mode).

About expected usage:
- LTS to over-next LTS would be sold by most agencies; simply because it
sounds good to have no bigger maintenance for three years
- LTS to next LTS would be used far less. Even though it is probably
easier to spread the maintenance costs
- snapshots would be used only by a few daring souls (developers)

"Smooth migration" would not become obsolete, but more or less a
must-have for each LTS. Migrations are done for core stuff between
snapshots and should also work for core data between LTS releases and
possibly between over-next LTS upgrades. Smooth migration would be very
useful to see what can't be used inside extensions and configuration.
Especially with over-next LTS upgrade it would be very complicated for a
human to oversee the combined changes of two LTS releases.

Overall a good plan!

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor