[TYPO3-core] Install Tool auto config for locking

Markus Klein klein.t3 at mfc-linz.at
Fri Jan 17 13:18:43 CET 2014

Hi!

It recently came to my mind that it might make sense to have another auto configuration in the Install Tool which detects if semaphore locking is available.
If so, it should be selected by default, because it is the safest (and probably quickest) method for locking.

Is there any use case, where such an improvement would cause problems?
If such a use case exists, is it a rare case, or not?
If it is rare, can we expect the admin to be able to change this setting manually to something more appropriate of his use case?

Some use cases which IMO would require locking or better locking in TYPO3 CMS:
- Cache (backend) access
- Session access for form tokens. Example: Edit forms which might only be submitted once. The hash for protection is usually in the session and the access to the session has to be locked.

Thanks for your opinions.

Kind regards
Markus