[TYPO3-core] Removing feature of compressing and merging external files

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Wed Jan 8 00:42:47 CET 2014

Hi Helmut,

Helmut Hummel wrote:

> The only BC break would be that external files will not be compressed
> nor concatenated. Everything else would still work. Do you think this
> acceptable?

+1 I agree to remove the compression and concatenation and just output the
raw link.

The few additional request happen only if the file is not in a browser cache
(should rarely happen with CDN) and only impacts high load sites.

High load sites should have the resources to tune their setup by fetching,
compressing and concatenating external files and to configure some
additional TS or even hack an extension. Otherwise they should think about
their business model.

We should tune TYPO3 CMS for the generic use cases and leave easy to solve
problems for high load sites to the specialized integrators and developers.

Best regards
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!