[TYPO3-core] Caching framework and in-memory caching

Helmut Hummel helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Sat Feb 22 12:32:19 CET 2014

Hi!

On 18.02.14 18:30, Philipp Gampe wrote:
> Hi Ernesto,
>
> Ernesto Baschny wrote:
>
>> I am not sure if this is in the scope of the Caching Framework, as it
>> would add complexity to a currently relatively simple API. My guess is
>> that this should be solved on the caller side, using the TransientCache
>> whenever it makes sense in the specific application context.
>
> I asked the same question halve a year before and the above was the outcome.

I could imagine a two level cache backend where I configure a backend
for first level caching (e.g. TransientMemoryBackend) and second level
caching (e.g. DatabaseBackend)

When 1st level cache misses, the two level cache backend fetches from
second level cache and sets first level cache if this hits. If 2nd level
cache misses, the 2level cache backend returns FALSE and the application
code can generate the cache entry.

This would perfectly fit into the domain of the caching framework and in
fact other caching frameworks have implemented this (e.g. ZendCache).

Kind regards,
Helmut

--
Helmut Hummel