[TYPO3-core] Caching framework and in-memory caching

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Tue Feb 18 17:19:55 CET 2014

Hi Peter,

Peter Beernink schrieb am 18.02.2014 14:17:

> While debugging some performance issues during Extbase persistence, I
> also came across some calls to the caching framework.
> When looking through the caching framework code it seemed that no
> in-memory caching is used during a single web request.
> If I'm not mistaken this could limit the amount of requests needed to be
> made to the caching backend in quite some cases, and thus speed-up TYPO3
> in those situations.
>
> Does anyone know if this is done intentionally?

If you need "in memory" caching for the duration of one request, you
could / should use the TransientMemoryBackend which is designed to to
just that.

Or do you mean to transient cache internally when using permanent
backends (by thus somehow "stacking" the TransientMemoryBackend in between)?

I am not sure if this is in the scope of the Caching Framework, as it
would add complexity to a currently relatively simple API. My guess is
that this should be solved on the caller side, using the TransientCache
whenever it makes sense in the specific application context.

I am sure Extbase could also re-use internally some information in a
single call, so if you want to explore this area, feel free to do so.

Felix Oertel is currently working on the Extbase persistence, and has
already touched some areas that involve calculating the same stuff over
and over again. See this proposed improvement:

http://forge.typo3.org/issues/55167

Feel free to review / comment on that code!

Cheers,
Ernesto

--
Ernesto Baschny