[TYPO3-core] For typo3.org admins only: realurl extension list error

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Wed Apr 9 14:13:37 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 9-4-2014 10:31, Brodala, Mathias wrote:
>> md5s are not really neede there, so I just clear them.
>
> You are right about that and thanks to VCS nowadays the checksums do not really serve
> any purpose anymore.

The 6.x EM doesn't use them anymore, but there is a use case for them:

An integrator who has to update an installation which he didn't
originally set up could use a feature which indicates (based on those
checksums) if there are parts of the extension which are possibly
modified. Then they could ask a developer to take a look before deciding
upgrade the extension to a newer version.

The Extension Manager is targeted at integrators who are not developers.
There are quite a few sites which are not in VCS and which are not
deployed using automated scripts. For these integrators the feature
should be brought back in the Extension Manager.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!