[TYPO3-core] Moving Extensions out of the core into TER

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Thu Sep 5 11:45:24 CEST 2013

Hi Michael,

>>> I'd opt for keeping openid and form in the core.
>>
>> Would be fine with me as well. We should just ensure the migration step
>> takes care of retrieving them from TER and we would be done.
>
> Please keep in mind, that not everyone will migrate from an old(er)
> version but install TYPO3 the first time. Moving extensions from the
> core to TER makes sense but also introduces a hurdle: you have to use
> the EM to "activate" (install) certain features.
>
> Again, not a problem for experienced Integrators, but maybe an issue for
> newbies.

This is not relevant as having a few of those extensions out of Core
would not make them part of the "feature set" of TYPO3 anymore. As such
there is no need to activate them. If ones wants OpenID (let's say it is
out of Core), then it is exactly the same process as integrating
OpenLDAP authentication. Same for linkvalidator, this would be similar
to installing additional_reports from TER.

So the problem is solely for existing installs relying on some of these
system extensions which would not be "system" anymore and should be
fetched automatically to prevent a crash of the install.

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!