[TYPO3-core] Dispatch extbase extension without registering it as module.

Helmut Hummel helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Sun Oct 6 11:54:22 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 04.10.13 21:30, Christian Kuhn wrote:
> On 10/04/2013 06:48 PM, Philipp Gampe wrote:

>> I do not think that registering "hidden" modules is the right approach,

Why do you think so?

> +1. This is imho an extbase bootrap issue.

I don't think so.

There is the need to have functionality that does not have it's own
entry script, this centrally dispatched, but does not show up in the
module menu. An example for that are wizards or click menu items.

We even have an (not Extbase related) API for that[1].

The issue here is that this (core) API is far from obvious and module
registration adds "arbitrary" data to a global array which then
magically results in menu entry (or not).

So if anything, we should make the core API easier and more straightforward.

For this very issue:

The registerModule method from Extbase was somehow hacked into the
current API. So we have two options now:

1. Add the missing functionality to this "hack" (like Fabien suggested)
2. Rework the core API to be cleaner and more straightforward.

Since we are close to feature freeze and have more important things
tackle, I would rather go for 1. because 2. has the potential to break a
lot.

For the sake of consistency, I would use "hideInMenu" as configuration
option which is used in Neos as well.

Kind regards,
Helmut

[1]