[TYPO3-core] The "correct" way to upgrade?

Stefan Aebischer typo3 at pixtron.ch
Fri Nov 22 15:15:59 CET 2013

> Quote: François Suter[1] wrote on Fri, 22 November 2013 14:09
>
>> Yes, that would be ideal, but how can we achieve that? It's pretty complicated to ensure that the user is not going back and forth between Analyzer and Upgrade Wizard.
>
> My idea would be that the Database Analyzer is NOT the first step.
> The first step should be the Upgrade Wizard. Each update should ensure the required fields are present in the DB.
> Then the wizards can do their work and afterwards the Analyzer can do the cleanups.

Maybe this diff [1] could be a solution. I did not fully test it, and of course the phpdoc comments have to be changed as well.

I did the following to "test" it on a fresh 6.2 installation:

-dropped table sys_file_metadata
-dropped some fields from sys_file
-opened db compare tool, showed me the statements to create/add the dropped table/fields (not executed)
-opened upgrade wizard, table was created and fields added
-opened db compare tool again, everything clean

For sure this needs more testing, especially on a real upgrade process.

[1] https://gist.github.com/pAlpha627/7600364