[TYPO3-core] TYPO3 releases compatibility with PHP, MySQL and Browsers

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Mon Nov 18 20:58:47 CET 2013

Hi Patrik,

Patrik Näsfors wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just some info that seems to not have been mentioned in the IE8
> discussion. I work at a company that hosts a lot of virtual Windows
> Servers. We still run most of them on Windows Server 2003 R2 which, just
> like XP, only can run IE8, but the difference is that Windows Server 2003
> is supported until 2015-07-15.

Well, we only focus on client versions, as running servers like client
workstations is a very unusual edge case.

> Windows Server 2003 R2 runs on 32-bit hardware and requires much less
> resources then the next version, Windows Server 2008.

All server hardware sold in the last 5 years has 64bit support. So you
either have a very old hardware base, explicitly bought non-64bit hardware
or you are running on consumer hardware. IMHO all three cases are an edge
case.

> Of course other browsers can be installed and I usually run TYPO3 backend
> from a client (although it happens to be from IE8 sometimes), but my
> advice is to keep IE8 compatibility for 6.2 LTS.

If it is important for you, then I suggest that you pay a dev to implement
IE8 support or to review any pending patches in this area.

TYPO3 CMS is developed on volunteer base. That does not mean, that we do not
listen to users, but we cannot support any edge case that might pop up.

Of course you are welcome to contribute patches and I guess (if the quality
is good and the patch does not introduce problems) that we will merge those
rather fast.

Keep in mind that Google discontinued IE9 (nine!!!) support for their
websites [1], so why should we waist our free time to support old browsers
that are very limited in their abilities?

[1] https://support.google.com/a/answer/33864?hl=en

Best regards
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!