[TYPO3-core] Bypass version compatibility check in 6.2 extension manager

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Fri Nov 15 10:08:55 CET 2013

Hi Jigal & Bernd,

> On 14-11-2013 17:06, bernd wilke wrote:
>> installing extensions to fulfill dependencies without questioning or
>> noticing the admin is a real no go. no possibility to download an
>> extension without installing (and modifying the database).
>
> Really, why would you install an extension and not its dependencies (it
> won't work, but most likely cause fatal errors) and why would you want
> to download an extension, unpack the code, but not activate it?
> In the past you had to click around like a mad man to confirm downloads
> of dependencies, install each one and update the database for each of
> them. There were plenty of complaints about this procedure.

I agree it was bad having to install all of them in separate steps.
However, it would be really good to see what happens if I install some
extension.

See how it's handled with apt:

➜  ~ $  sudo apt-get install exim4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light heirloom-mailx
Suggested packages:
  eximon4 exim4-doc-html exim4-doc-info spf-tools-perl swaks
Recommended packages:
  mailx
  exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light heirloom-mailx
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1936 kB of archives.
After this operation, 4233 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n

I especially like the prompt at the end which allows me to stop the
installation if I dislike certain dependencies.

> Please do report issues to forge, also with ideas for improvements. The
> EM will be adjusted to make it better.

Yes please!

Greetings, Michael