[TYPO3-core] Bypass version compatibility check in 6.2 extension manager

bernd wilke t3ng at bernd-wilke.net
Thu Nov 14 17:06:19 CET 2013

Am 14.11.13 15:23, schrieb Loek Hilgersom:
> Hi all,
>
> While test-driving 6.2-dev I'm running into the new compatibility check
> in the extension manager. It refuses to install extensions which do not
> have explicit 6.2 support in ext_emconf.php, and therefor there are very
> few extensions which can be installed at all.
>
> Normally I would download AND install the extension in my
> dev-environment to test if it works. If it would break the installation
> I would de-install and remove, or fix the code and re-install.
>
> I would expect a warning, and maybe refuse to install without prior
> warnings, but now I can not even download it to fix it myself. Trying
> out older extensions gets really annoying this way, because I'd first
> have to figure out where the git or svn-repository is - if it exists at
> all - and otherwise download the extension in some older
> TYPO3-installation, or some other lengthy procedure.
>
> Also, if the extension manager refuses to even download older
> extensions, there is no point in showing them either.
>
> I think it should just present a severe warning before allowing you to
> install older extensions, or at least download them. There could also be
> an install tool option that would allow this behaviour, so that it the
> default remains as it is now.
>
> What do you think? Or did I miss something?

IMHO now the EM has bin 'optimized' to trash.

installing extensions to fulfill dependencies without questioning or
noticing the admin is a real no go. no possibility to download an
extension without installing (and modifying the database).

showing no information about modified extensions like the old EM leads
to breaking updates as the admin got no warning about neccessary special
handling

showing no upload comments for each extension update requires a lot of
work for every admin who has to update any extensions

it's just a way to provide all TYPO3-admins with a lot of work to live.
But nnot every customer is willing to pay for an update four times as
much than the last one.

just my personal opinion
bernd
--