[TYPO3-core] Taming the Performance in 6.2

Mathias Schreiber mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Wed Nov 6 16:46:50 CET 2013

Quote: Alexander Opitz wrote on Wed, 06 November 2013 16:15
> can you tell me, what did you mean with "keep stuff in RAM"? There is no
> way to keep data in RAM between PHP processes without using APC, Xcache
> or OPcache (or such systems).

Sorry, I wasn't making myself clear enough.

I was refering to Tom that said he had changed the autoload mechanism from having a huge classname <-> filename mapping array that was loaded for every request.
Keeping this off RAM makes sense so far.
Now we have a system that is easier on the RAM but hits file I/O harder.
So in order to make an educated descision which way is the better one I'd like to see the numbers on different scenarios.

So we should set up several profiling setups much like suggested in the thread above me with stuff like:
* clean install, no extensions
* install packed with 100 extensions

It doesn't make sense IMO to gain the benefit of loading only the neccessary stuff (good) by spending even more time on determining caches (stupid).

We had the same issues back at 4.2 -> 4.3 when the CF took more time determining the cache to deliver than devliering the page fully uncached (and yes, I'm not kidding, this actually happened).

Bottomline:
The descision can be taken with math and common sense.
Reasonably (!) using RAM will always be a LOT faster than checking the file system over and over again.
And don't talk about SSDs, even these are lightyears slower than RAM :)