[TYPO3-core] Updated Core documentation workflow

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue May 21 22:35:01 CEST 2013

François Suter schrieb am 21.05.2013 22:22:
> Hi again,
>
>> On our (Doc Team) side, what we will try to improve is to have target
>> versions and Git branches ready (for older versions), so that
>> documentation patches can be submitted as soon as possible during a
>> release's development. Now that we have a version switching menu on
>> docs.typo3.org, we will also try to introduce a way to mark the latest
>> stable version, so that "master" versions of the manuals can be seen at
>> any time, but normal users see by default the documentation
>> corresponding to latest stable.
>
> TCA Reference and Core APIs have already been "marked" as "6.2.0-dev"
> and the proper symlinks have been defined on docs.typo3.org. This makes
> it so that, for example, accessing Core APIs with:
>
> http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/CoreApiReference/
>
> leads to 6.1 (stable version) and using:
>
> http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/CoreApiReference/latest/
>
> leads to 6.2.0-dev, where newly merged features can already be documented.
>
> Note: there's a tiny issue left with the symlink of TCA Reference, so
> that it still leads to 6.0, but that will be fixed shortly. Other
> manuals will follow.
>
> You now have one less excuse not to document your work ;-)

Yay, that is very cool indeed, as we could work on the 6.2 documentation
already during development and (ideally) have it ready at release time!
Fantastic!

We will probably work on some documentation for the "migration" from 4.5
to 6.2, as this is one of the major goals. What would be the suggested
place to include this information? A natural candidate could be
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/InstallationGuide/, but this is not
"up-to-date" yet, right?

Cheers,
Ernesto