[TYPO3-core] ReStructured Text in the TYPO3 backend

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue May 21 11:02:14 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 21-5-2013 10:09, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> The "offline group" is of course important, but they are used of having
> to fetch the documentation somewhere. The vast majority can (and will)
> read the documentation online, as this might in future also contain
> comments and updates.

Personally I was thinking more about the documentation from extensions.
It used to be a matter of downloading the .t3x somehow, installing it in
TYPO3 and then you could read the documentation from the EM.
Also sysexts had their documentation included.

Once these are moved to ReST and third party extensions come with ReST
manuals there must be a way to display those.
TER could render the ReST manual to some nice looking format, but this
isn't the case if you use repository versions or a zip/t3x you receive
from the developer.

So, it would be nice to have some form of ReST rendering. It doesn't
need to be perfect, but at least usable.

> So in my opinion offering a download of PDFs for offline reading is
> enough for the "offline-users". We don't even need to ship the PDFs with
> the Core, but could create a parallel distribution
> "typo3_docs-4.5.tar.gz" (or something like that).

If we have a central place for documentation (a documentation / library
module) this could show the docs from such a distribution.

> The idea from Jigal sounds nice. But sounds also like a ambitious project.

It doesn't have to be created overnight. We can start with the foundations
- an API to register / detect documentation
- an API to get links to documentation
- a module to provide links to the documentation

Once there is a central location it becomes logical to add functionality
to this central place.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor