[TYPO3-core] Backend module html structure

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Tue May 21 10:42:58 CEST 2013

François Suter schrieb am 21.05.2013 10:33:

>> What will happen: Extension authors will need to adjust their html
>> slightly. Backend modules not following this standard will not display
>> doc headers rows perfectly (colors, positioning).
>
> What's the impact:
>
> 1) in 6.2 for extensions that don't have the right structure?
>
> 2) in 4.5 for extensions that would adopt the new structure?
>
>> When: Now is the perfect time since most probably extension will be
>> changed with the launch of TYPO3 6.2 fundamentally:
>
> Yes and no. After the recent active contributors meetings, there was a
> call to extension developers to try and keep compatibility across the
> whole range from 4.5 to 6.2, so that transitioning from one LTS to the
> other is as smooth as possible.
>
> Of course, after an initial 4.5-6.2 compatible release, I would also
> expect developers to start dropping tons of legacy code.
>
> So anything that breaks extensions is risky IMO and should be avoided if
> possible.

I agree with that overall assessment and have also a couple of other
concerns with some changes to the 6.2 lately regarding backwards
compatibility. I will address the question in the next release team
meeting. The "smooth transition" is the top priority and we shouldn't
make developers and integrators life more difficult than needed.

Regards,
Ernesto

--
Ernesto Baschny