[TYPO3-core] Migrating system extension manuals to ReStructured Text

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sun May 19 12:57:00 CEST 2013

Hi all,

The topic of migrating the system extension manuals to ReST was already
mentioned in the past, but we are now set to actually do it. In
particular the Documentation Team discussed it with Ernesto (as 6.2 RM)
in its latest meeting. On Friday, I also met with Xavier and Dominique
Feyer who were interested in the topic. In particular Xavier has already
done quite some work with ReST-based documentation and TYPO3
integration. The idea was to brainstorm about the topic and submit a
first draft of a plan in this list for discussion. So here we go:

1) over the next few weeks, I'll take care of migrating existing system
extension manuals to ReST. To give you an idea, here are the sysext that
have manuals (some being very short, but still):

- css_styled_content
- dbal
- felogin
- form
- linkvalidator
- openid
- recycler
- rsaauth
- rtehtmlarea
- saltedpasswords
- scheduler
- sys_action
- taskcenter
- workspaces

We have tools to transform OpenOffice to ReST, but a full migration
implies quite a bit of cleanup after that first step and that can't be a
one-man show.

1.a) As a side note, about indexed_search: the manual was extracted from
the Core a long time ago, because it was so large, it might be the
opportunity to bring it back, but this is a separate (sub)topic IMO.

2) My plan would be to a the absolute minimal cleanup and get the
migrated manuals up in some repository so that people can start
contributing. I don't know what's best here, if it should already be
merged to the main repository at that point or if we should be working
in a sandbox or a Github clone. I would be glad for advice and opinions.

3) At T3DD13 there will be a day-long workshop about ReST by Martin
Bless. At every full hour Martin will be available for a short
introduction. This way many people should be able to attend it, as you
can pop in pretty much at any time and be sure to receive an
introduction (not be lost in the middle of on ongoing workshop). We hope
you will be numerous to attend, as ReST is your future ;-) Improving
migrated manuals will be a great way to get started with ReST.

4) Following up on this post, I hope to discuss, brainstorm and end up
with a plan for integration of ReST-based manuals in the TYPO3 BE.
Indeed a ReST-based manual cannot be viewed offline (at least not
comfortably) so we have to provide solutions, also taking into account
that some TYPO3 installations may be disconnected from the Internet. I
will open a separate thread for this, as this mail is getting too long ;-)

5) At T3DD13 (again) I will organize a workshop with the goal of
starting the integration/coding of the ideas that we will have come up
with here. The goal is to have a team that will feel responsible for
this and continue to work on it in the future. I definitely don't want
you to think that I will bear this alone, because we might as well not
do it in such a case.

Feedback on this first post is welcome. I'll open a second one for
brainstorming about integration later (but still today, probably).

Cheers

--

Francois Suter