[TYPO3-core] [RFC] Upcoming Git changes
helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Sat May 18 12:30:32 CEST 2013
On 15.05.13 10:57, Michael Stucki wrote:
> We see a lot of problems coming if Git history will be rewritten.
Can you elaborate on the problems?
I would still prefer the history rewrite.
My suggestion would be to:
1. Create a new repo and Gerrit project following the new naming scheme
2. Fill the new repo with the rewritten history
3. Make the old repo read only
optional: Have a script to transfer all open changes in Gerrit to the
* Clean history
# No hassels when fetching older versions where submodules are used
# Working git blam without manual interaction
* No breaking changes for clones of the "old" repo
* Merge freeze for the time until the new repo is ready (1 Day?)
* Bit of more work for tranfering open change requests
* forge core project could have broken associated merges in the tickets
Are there more downsides? Or dou you consider the last one as blocker
(which I would understand)?
Release Manager TYPO3 6.0
TYPO3 Core Developer, TYPO3 Security Team Member
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: typo3.org
More information about the TYPO3-team-core