[TYPO3-core] [RFC] Upcoming Git changes

Helmut Hummel helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Sat May 18 12:30:32 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 15.05.13 10:57, Michael Stucki wrote:

> We see a lot of problems coming if Git history will be rewritten.

Can you elaborate on the problems?
I would still prefer the history rewrite.

My suggestion would be to:

1. Create a new repo and Gerrit project following the new naming scheme
2. Fill the new repo with the rewritten history
3. Make the old repo read only
optional: Have a script to transfer all open changes in Gerrit to the
new Project.

Benefits:

* Clean history
   # No hassels when fetching older versions where submodules are used
   # Working git blam without manual interaction
* No breaking changes for clones of the "old" repo

Downsides:
* Merge freeze for the time until the new repo is ready (1 Day?)
* Bit of more work for tranfering open change requests
* forge core project could have broken associated merges in the tickets

Are there more downsides? Or dou you consider the last one as blocker
(which I would understand)?

Kind regards,
Helmut

--