[TYPO3-core] Remove/Reduce forced delay on failed BE logins

Fabien Udriot fabien.udriot at ecodev.ch
Mon May 13 09:08:10 CEST 2013

>> I have nothing against that and would even wish this. Related to security,
>> could it be made to have this 5 second of delay re-introduced after the
>> third (or whatever) wrong attempt of login. This would be a compromise,
>> IMO.
>
> This is too complicated IMHO ... they auth process is already very
> complicated.

I don't understand where is the complication. We are capable of counting the wrong attempts of login
when sending warning emails, aren't we? So, we should be able to increase linearly the waiting time.

Pseudo code to give the idea:

$interval = 5
$delayInSecond = 3
sleep(floor($numberOfWrongLogin / $interval) * $delayInSecond)

-> from 1 to 5 wrong login you will have 0 delay
-> from 6 to 10: 3 seconds of delay
-> from 11 to 15: 6 seconds of delay
-> ...

Where is the devil hiding?
Perhaps, because I didn't have a precise look into the source code ;)

All the best,

Fb.