[TYPO3-core] Issue handling

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Thu May 9 23:38:11 CEST 2013

Hi Alexander Opitz,

Alexander Opitz wrote:

> So, now my question to how I should handle the following 2 fields:
>
> - Target version
> - TYPO3 version
>
> TYPO3 version is the major version in which the issue was found. Should
> this field hold the first major or last major version a issue was found?

The lowest (if know). I usually set it to the TYPO3 version I used while
encountering the bug.

> Target version holds the minor version in which it would/will be solved.
> Who should set this field? A developer who plans to bring this in next
> minor release? Or should all 4.7 open issues set to next version as
> target? And what to set if the issue is in 6.1, 6.0, 4.7 and 4.5? 4.5.27
> or 6.1.1? Who will update this minor version number if an issue passed the
> release?

IMHO this should only be set after the merge or by RM to identify blockers.
Thus a version should only be released if all targeted issues are resolved.

> By the way, there are no minor version numbers for next 4.5, 4.7 and 6.0
> and as ther won't be a new 4.6 can the Target 4.6.19 be closed?

IMHO those should be created after releases of the previous ones.

> The FriendlyGhost
> (http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-core/wiki/FriendlyGhost) document
> writes, that the 'Needs Feedback' issues now have 90 days time for
> response. I'd like to reduce this to 1 month, as we need to get the
> numbers of open issues down, very fast.

I think 90 days are quite OK, considering that someone might be on holiday
for three weeks and that the issues are closed/rejected then.

> Ans last question, if an issue is closed, how a user can contact us?
> Writing in the issue mostly do not help (no assignee and no watchers) and
> who wants to go through the closed issues to look if someone has problems
> with a patch (or why ever the issue was closed).

I think I do get notifications if I was a watcher of an issue, even if that
one is closed.
Anyway, users should open a new issue in this case and set a relation.

Thanks for all that work of digging throw the issues.

Cheers
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!