[TYPO3-core] Workspaces and versioning - the next step

Thorsten Kahler thorsten.kahler at typo3.org
Thu May 9 13:16:44 CEST 2013

Hi everybody,

after an eventful year spent in a large TYPO3 (Extbase) project at dkd
featuring workspaces we have encountered, patched and reported a number
of bugs.

Right now we face two problems:

First: The review-process for the reports seems, more or less, stuck.

Second: A few other patches have been reported that imply different
ideas about the whole workspace and versioning complex.

This gets even more important to us, as we face the challenge to get
versioning and workspaces working in a multilanguage environment. The
number of open issues is pretty impressive...

We have come to the conclusion that doing all of this on our own is not
the best way for us or TYPO3. Oh - and this way is seriously lacking fun.

We propose a code sprint to tackle the whole complex. As a prerequisite
to the actual bugfixing we feel the need to discuss the underlying
concepts and possible solutions. Therefore a conceptional meeting for
two days should precede the code sprint. (Bug fixing can start as soon
as concept, documentation, working mode etc. are fixated.)

dkd will provide:

* space
* infrastructure
* food
* hotel-costs and travel-expenses up to 150 EUR / day and participant

Oh yes and (unlimited) coffee.

Targets:

* a concept for the required data structures and processes
* concepts for related topics (Extbase, l10n)
* improved documentation
* common test cases
* automated testing (feasibility?)

We suggest following dates for the first meeting in Frankfurt/Main:
* May, 30th + 31st (Thu + Fri)
* June, 11th + 12th (Tue + Wed)

Please let us know your thought on this approach and if you're
interested to participate.

For organisational questions please contact Chris Zabanski
(chris.zabanski at dkd.de) because I'll be offline for some time during the
next two weeks.

Cheers,
Thorsten