[TYPO3-core] Question regarding character conversion support

Markus Klein klein.t3 at mfc-linz.at
Tue Mar 19 11:40:54 CET 2013

+1.

mbstring as default. Iconv as option. Rest should be deprecated.

~Markus

Am 19.03.2013 11:12, schrieb Michael Stucki:
> Hi Christian,
>
> I agree that the native implementation should be removed in the long
> run. I am not sure exactly why iconv should be used, but I suggest to
> keep it too. Here's an article about it:
> http://beeznest.wordpress.com/2008/04/22/mbstring-vs-iconv/
>
> My suggestion is to keep all code for now but mark the native
> implementation as well as recode as deprecated.
>
> Changing the default to mbstring right now seems like a good thing IMHO.

+1

Having the fastest one as the default IMHO is always a good idea, since most
of the people will probably never change that default to anything else.

But for those who rely on the other options to be working, we should at
least stick to the deprecation rules, so they will have enough time to
modify their systems.

And of course it should be communicated prominently that the default has
changed and people should check, if this new default will be running on
their system.

Cheers

Joey