[TYPO3-core] Thoughts about mid-term strategy

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sat Mar 16 10:29:36 CET 2013

Hi again,

> The other big goal that I see is to finish work that was started and
> clean up pending stuff. With the later I mostly refer to reducing the
> number of pending patches. If we want a rock-stable LTS version, it only
> makes sense that the number of pending patches be reduced to (near)
> zero. Finishing work is about things like using the new Logging API in
> the Core, making better use of system collections, improve system
> categories (important patches pending for a long time), in general make
> thorough (but sensible) use in the Core of technologies that were added
> but are not used to their full potential.

About that and thinking a bit further, maybe we should try and make an
inventory of what we have in the Core, in order to be able to assess for
each item:

- its completeness
- its stability (satisfying, needs more work, needs refactoring, etc.)
- its maintainability (easy to maintained, actually maintained, needs
people who care, etc.)
- its relevance

We have lots and teams, sub-projects, Forge categories, etc., and all
these can be used to create the inventory, as well as system extensions
and subfolders in the new Classes hierarchy that we now have thanks to
the introduction of namespaces.

With all this we should be able to define the granularity needed to have
an exhaustive list of stuff that can be identified as a sub-package in
the Core and take stock of its status.

I think this would help not only identify the sore spots in the Core,
but - in the longer term - help that some do not get forgotten.

What do you think?

Cheers

--

Francois Suter