[TYPO3-core] Announcing TYPO3 CMS 6.1.0 Alpha1

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Fri Mar 15 00:03:07 CET 2013

Am 14.03.2013 23:17, schrieb Christian Kuhn:
> Hey.
>
> On 03/14/2013 08:12 PM, JoH asenau wrote:
>> BTW: I don't know what would be realistic use cases for the number of
>> concurrent requests in the "real world" you had in mind, but in the real
>> world of some TYPO3 projects I know of, these are the average numbers
>> the QA people are working with, since they have to handle up to 400/s
>> during peak times on a 4.5 LTS based instance.
>
> Executing a PHP driven enterprise CMS for every single request with such
> a workload is a waste of resources. Use a proxy like varnish. And yes,
> our clients have such workloads, too.

Of course they are using proxies, load balancers, caching mechanisms in
the code and other methods to lower the workload, but actually this is
not the point.

The point is, that we have been introducing stuff that significantly
slows down the whole system. And this can't be fixed by telling people:
Yes, we are below 50% of the performance of our LTS version, but that
doesn't hurt as much, since you should use a proxy anyway.

I will do some profiling on the introduction package or the government
package to find out where we lost most of the time, so maybe we can get
back some of the performance for 6.1 or at least for 6.2,since this will
be the next LTS.

Most likely candidates: Namespacing and class alias mapping, breakdown
into (too) many small classes and methods, maybe a combination of both,
Extbase (but that should not count for the default frontend output),
Caching Framework, redundant method calls without properly reusing the
result.

I really would love to see at least 6.2 running as fast as 4.5 did.
So let's see what we can do about it.

Have a good night

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian