[TYPO3-core] PHP version requirement

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Fri Mar 8 07:22:07 CET 2013

Am 07.03.2013 21:18, schrieb Helmut Hummel:
> On 07.03.13 17:13, Karsten Dambekalns wrote:
>
>> Wait, I don't want to be used in support of this outdated-is-fine
>> approach.
>
> :-)
>
>> The issue you mention was a regression in PHP, true.
>
> These things happen. He even had that while ago using an oh-so-stable
> Debian whith a broken PHP security fix backport.
>
>> To be clear: I loathe this "5.3.3 must be supported" issue. I would
>> urge everyone to switch to PHP 5.4 *now* and with 5.3. being at 5.3.22
>> by now, having a frankenstein 5.3.3 is just plain awkward.
>
> :-D

Actually the point is not, if it is stable or not, but how many websites
are running on it, because it is thought to be stable.

According to the current marekt share values, 2/3 of all websites are
running on linux, with 1/3 of these running on either Debian,Ubuntu or
RedHat, which are all on PHP < 5.3.7.

You may not like their policies or backporting style but you have to
deal with these numbers when you claim to sell an enterprise level CMS.

Just my 2 cents

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de