[TYPO3-core] PHP version requirement

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Thu Mar 7 17:13:32 CET 2013

Hi Stucki.

On 01.03.2013, at 15:38, Michael Stucki <michael.stucki at typo3.org> wrote:
> We are using the dotdeb packages for neos.typo3.org and I can tell you
> there were several issues when something was broken after a simple
> update. Steffen and Karsten can probably sing a nice song about it.

Wait, I don't want to be used in support of this outdated-is-fine approach. The issue you mention was a regression in PHP, true. But at that point I rather used it as an argument in favor of integration servers being fully independent of production machines - so that such issues can be found. And it proves that thinking all will be fine just because it's a minor version update will get you in trouble.

To be clear: I loathe this "5.3.3 must be supported" issue. I would urge everyone to switch to PHP 5.4 *now* and with 5.3. being at 5.3.22 by now, having a frankenstein 5.3.3 is just plain awkward.

> Exactly because of this, admins like Debian so much on their servers.

There's a reason people call it "rotten" instead of "stable" :) And really, I have the feeling that more people are trying to update to a newer PHP using backports than not. Obviously that is highly opinionated.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Karsten Dambekalns