[TYPO3-core] PHP version requirement

Steffen Müller typo3 at t3node.com
Sat Mar 2 16:35:28 CET 2013

Hi.

Am 01.03.2013 21:49, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
> There is no reasonable way to distinguish a Debian PHP 5.3.5 (which
> actually works like a 5.3.8) from an original PHP 5.3.5.
> Despite some effort to find a way to test if there was a version with or
> without the bug, there was only one way to go: set the requirement to 5.3.7

There is:
$ php
<?php
echo phpversion();

5.3.3-7+squeeze14

Debian stable distribution (squeeze) is popular among hosters and
customers all over the world. If our goal is to enable a wide base of
users with TYPO3 then we have to deal with the given environment. So
IMHO bashing Debian for their release policy does not help TYPO3.

Before you bash the release policy of Debian, have a closer look at it.
It's quite similar to the one we have developed for the TYPO3 core:
We don't backport features to stable releases for the sake of stability.
We don't backport complex and risky bugfixes to LTS.

I cite Ernesto as the 4.5 RM. Just replace "4.5" with "Debian stable
release":

"(...) Especially in 4.5 LTS people *expect* things not to break and if
something (...) isn't working since start of 4.5
(2011), people have probably made some work around the problem in the
meantime anyway. Fixing it just for the sake of having it fixed with the
huge risk of a regression should not happen at this state of the 4.5
life-cycle, where we prefer stability (and security) opposed to
backporting every tiny fix. "Less change is better". (...)"

If you have that policy in a distribution, the versioning thing is
unavoidable. But that's the tradeoff.

--
cheers,
Steffen