[TYPO3-core] PHP version requirement

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Fri Mar 1 11:41:15 CET 2013

Hi Jigal & Dmitry,

Am 01.03.2013 10:20, schrieb Dmitry Dulepov:
> Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>> Maybe it's sensible to keep 5.3.7 as requirement. If we declare that it
>> works with lower versions we are obliged to fix any bugs that are
>> related to that version.
>> Some of those bugs are simply impossible to fix in the code.
>
> I would prefer to keep 5.3.7 too for the same reasons.

I am really wondering that nobody seems to care about this problem.
According to this source [1], Debian is the number one Linux based
operating system on web servers. I don't think that we can simply ignore
that.

As Philipp mentioned already, Debian is backporting bugfixes into their
version. Debian Squeeze is currently having version 5.3.3-7+squeeze14
which contains quite a lot of backports, as you can see at [2].

So I went to see if the bugs which we know about are fixed in Squeeze.
So far I learnt about two major problems which were present in PHP
5.3.3. I took these and checked the Debian changelog [2] to see if the
fixes have been backported to the Squeeze PHP package:

- Blowfish backwards compatibility break (thanks Marcus Krause):
  http://daveyshafik.com/archives/35354-the-blowfish-debacle.html
  => Fixed in 5.3.3-7+squeeze4

- Some problem related to namespaces. Couldn't find any bug entry nor
  any mention in PHP announcements from 5.3.3 to 5.3.7.
  At least I found this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4375614/namespaces-not-working-in-php-5-3-3
  But that works fine when I try to reproduce it with Squeeze.
  => Fixed? No fix needed?

So it seems like everything is fine and we can announce that Debian
Squeeze is supported too.

Any objections to this? If so, please tell me which bugs are yet
missing, and I will check for these too.

Greetings, Michael
--
Michael Stucki
TYPO3 Core Team member