[TYPO3-core] The documentation patch has landed :-)

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Mon Jul 15 22:53:35 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I've just sent to Gerrit the patch corresponding to the migration of all
existing system extension manuals to reStructured Text!

https://review.typo3.org/#/c/22337/

I'm not sure how we want to proceed with the review, I don't think
anyone will really check every manual. Here is some information though:

1) all manuals render cleanly (i.e. without a single warning) on our
current rendering infrastructure.

2) the result can be viewed online (currently rendered from my fork [1]):

http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/css_styled_content/latest/
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/dbal/latest/
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/felogin/latest/
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/form/latest/
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/indexed_search/latest/
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/linkvalidator/latest/
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/openid/latest/
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/recycler/latest/
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/rsaauth/latest/
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/rtehtmlarea/latest/
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/saltedpasswords/latest/
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/scheduler/latest/
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/sys_action/latest/
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/taskcenter/latest/
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/workspaces/latest/

3) the manuals are all clean in terms of meta data and configuration for
rendering.

4) however the manuals are not up to date in terms of content. I did
some small updates here and there, but updating everything is too much
work. This can be done incrementally once the migration is merged. In
particular we will need to update most screenshots before release. As I
said during the recent contributor's meeting, this makes it particularly
important to freeze UI changes at feature freeze too.

5) this patch brings back the indexed_search documentation inside the
extension. This had been the lost child of the official documentation
for years, but really belongs inside the extension. I guess it was
removed at the time because of its size. It weighs in at about 1.1 MB,
but I don't think that this is really critical as a download of the
6.1.1 source is a total of 54 MB. That being said, it could be trimmed
down by using less images (it is extremely "verbose").

6) there is a mysterious diff file stored inside the dbal doc folder,
which is also removed by this patch. I don't if it is of any importance.
If yes, we can find it a new home. See:

https://git.typo3.org/Packages/TYPO3.CMS.git/blob/HEAD:/typo3/sysext/dbal/doc/class.tslib_fe.php.diff

Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions. I'll wait for someone to
give me the green light before merging anyway.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter

Work: Cobweb Development Sarl - http://www.cobweb.ch