[TYPO3-core] declare(encoding='UTF-8'); in extension config files

Peter Niederlag peter.niederlag at typo3.org
Mon Feb 25 13:41:50 CET 2013

Hello,

On 25.02.2013 13:02, Steffen Müller wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Am 25.02.2013 11:59, schrieb Dmitry Dulepov:
>>> Extensions should follow the CGL too.
>>
>> +1, however I would not bet that every ext author will read that. Having
>> a fail safe measure never hurts...
>>

> Still stuff could fail, if extension authors use different encoding than
> UTF-8 without declaring this.
> IMHO this is the most probable case for those authors which ignore the CGL.

Stuff is still highly likely to fail even if extension authors have
setup a correct declare(encoding) line due to
- missing support in environment (zend multibyte must be enabled)
- concatenating files with declare() lines is almost impossible

It's a simple soultion to require/enforce utf-8 and stick with it.

If somenoe comes up with a use case this could be reevaluated.

Greets,
Peter