[TYPO3-core] Regression in 4.5.23

Helmut Hummel helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Fri Feb 22 20:44:43 CET 2013

Hi.

On 22.02.13 15:34, Steffen Müller wrote:

> On 22.02.2013 11:02 Ernesto Baschny wrote:
>>
>> This is a no go in my eyes. The 4.5 backport was clearly not a
>> "no-brainer" backport at all and should have passed the normal reviewing
>> and voting system (two core devs, two testers).

I agree.

> How to validate if something is a no-brainer?

If you get a conflict when cherry-picking you can be sure it is not a
no-brainer any more.

I just tried to cherry-pick this (4.6)
https://review.typo3.org/16955

into 4-5 branch (tag 4-5-22)

and I got a conflict. Unfortunately we have no written down rule for
that, but as soon as manual interaction is involved when backporting, we
should enforce a full review again.

Of course it is not necessarily true the other way around. If you don't
get a conflict while backporting, you still might break stuff in an
older branch. Then it is up to the person who backports to decide
whether to ask for reviews or not.

> This exceptional definition of LTS is new to me. AFAIK it neither has
> been postulated nor has it lead to a more strict backporting policy in
> gerrit review progress.
>
> So far we had the policy: No new features in releases, but backported
> bugfixes.

A policy is in the making that states that only *critical* and
*security* bugfixes will be backported after a certain period of time.

This particular thing would have clearly been a wontfix for older branches.

1. No critical bug
2. *No* security implications

-> no backport

This policy will save us time and troubles in the future.

Kind regards,
Helmut

--
Helmut Hummel