[TYPO3-core] Regression in 4.5.23

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Fri Feb 22 11:02:08 CET 2013

Steffen Müller schrieb am 22.02.2013 00:09:

> What can we learn from this issue?
> -----------------------------------
>
> 1) Timespan of almost a year from submitting a patch to releasing it. As
> author you probably have moved on, solved the issue otherwise and
> finished + archived the project where the issue occured.
>
> 2) No review process for backporting a patch. No time between merging
> original patch set and backport. No chance for me to verify/test the
> backport.

This is a no go in my eyes. The 4.5 backport was clearly not a
"no-brainer" backport at all and should have passed the normal reviewing
and voting system (two core devs, two testers).

Especially in 4.5 LTS people *expect* things not to break and if
something in the session handling isn't working since start of 4.5
(2011), people have probably made some work around the problem in the
meantime anyway. Fixing it just for the sake of having it fixed with the
huge risk of a regression should not happen at this state of the 4.5
life-cycle, where we prefer stability (and security) opposed to
backporting every tiny fix. "Less change is better".

I expect that core developers understand this position, and understand
also that I (as release manager of 4.5) have no time to go through all
backported issues and test them myself.

Instead of concentrating on backporting all stuff to 4.5, let's work on
having master (6.1) stable and bug free in order to have a real stable
next LTS (6.2)!

Cheers,
Ernesto

--