[TYPO3-core] Backporting Hooks

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue Feb 19 08:52:51 CET 2013

Hi,

On 18-2-2013 16:22, Kay Strobach wrote:
> Normal installations have a high patchlevel upgrade rate (atleast mine),
> so it should not be a real problem, especially as these cases should be
> hopefully seldom.

And now we end up with the age old problem which was the root of the LTS
discussions earlier: Normal installations are regularly upgraded to new
releases (at least mine).
It appears we have two strategies in the community:
- stay with the original version of the installation as long as
possible, only do patch level updates. As a result hooks need to be
backported to be able to use them.
- upgrade regularly. As a result hooks become available and need not be
backported (and as a bonus new features in the core become available too).

Maybe we could assign the task of backporting hooks (and other features
which are requested in later threads) also to the lucky person who will
do the backports of various things to LTS versions?

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!