[TYPO3-core] Review system woes

Markus Klein klein.t3 at mfc-linz.at
Sat Feb 16 18:17:35 CET 2013

> Hi Olly,
>
> > Some possible solutions at this time:
> >
> > * Review Days: Benni already started an initiative similar to previous
> >    Bug Days to basically concentrate on reviews instead on bug fixes.
> >    The scheduled date is *Friday,February 22nd 2013*  and open for all
>
> I propose a far more radical solution: we halt all development until we have reached zero pending patches in Gerrit. Anyway the
> objective of 6.1 is "improvement". What better way than to have given a final answer (merged or abandoned) to every pending
> patch? What else is more important? I'm sure everyone will appreciate a "stabilization" release after all the recent rush of changes
> (just look at the number of extensions which are still not compatible with 6.0).

Very very interesting. I just thought I heard this already somewhere. And as I can remember, this is more or less what I wrote to EVERY RM since 4.6 via email!

About your radical solution: Maybe it should still be able to submit new patches, but we should definitely start with merging things beginning with the oldest one.
No matter how long it takes to solve each one. No excuse to step over one single patch. If necessary, discuss every patch in the Core list.

At least my product satisfaction is entirely coupled with bugfixing speed and not new features.
IMO 6.1 has to have only one single goal: Make things working again, which were already working:
Beginning with EM, workspaces, translation overriding with TS, language fallback in FE [1][2], removing dead code [3], aso.

Kind regards
Markus

[1] https://review.typo3.org/9937
[2] https://review.typo3.org/14464