[TYPO3-core] Memory system woes

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Wed Feb 13 00:45:23 CET 2013

Hi Dmitry,

>> Which is more or less the statement that Christian added in the previous
>> mail:
>>
>> "Disclaimer: This does not mean that memory shouldn't be optimised at
>> all. If our application does something insane that can be solved more
>> elegantly with less memory consumption: Go ahead, we love those patches!"
>
> It sounds like: "We increased memory usage and decreased the speed. You do
> not like it? Go and make a patch to bring it all back. We will love that!".
> Fascinating...

There is a plan to add the lost performance again. As I understand it,
we are discussion right now if that should have happened in a row (two
patches which depend on each other) instead of the way how it was done
now: First, simplify the code (and make it slow). Next, improve the
code again (and make it fast again).

That is a very theoretical question and is mainly connected to giving
trust in someone else to finish his work. Myself I trust in Christian
that he will improve that again before the release of 6.1. You seem to
think different, that's fine. However, now that the patch has been
added, I think we should not discuss it further. If for some reason
the improvements will not be in 6.1, then we might need to get back to
the discussion. However, if they will be in, then this whole
discussion turns out to be useless...

> Okay, I see it is pointless. Let's keep this patch and see what happens. I
> am just tired of all this. Let it be as it is. I will watch from behind.

I see a lot of energy that was spent on discussions and frustrating
each other. All of you might have their points, and I agree with you
that it could have been done different from the start.
However, now that the patch is in, it's really pointless to discuss it
all over again.

The learning should be:
- Code cleanup will improve the maintainability of the overall code
and should be encouraged
- Performance should not be removed without having a follow-up patch
at hand that improves the situation again

Anything else to add?

Greetings, Michael