[TYPO3-core] Memory system woes

Oliver Klee typo3-german-02 at oliverklee.de
Mon Feb 11 21:53:03 CET 2013

Hi,

Am 11.02.2013 00:56, schrieb Christian Kuhn:
> Additionally, the PHP memory consumption decreased heavily with the
> versions. We realised that with our unit tests, executing all master
> 5000 tests. According to phpunit output:
>
> php 5.3.3 -> ~950 MB
> php 5.3.15 -> ~450 MB
> php 5.4.5 -> ~350 MB

This is my impression as well. It looks like the memory handling of PHP
(and the garbage collection process) really has improved lately.

Disclaimer: The usage patterns from running all unit tests of e.g. the
core does not represent the real memory consumption of real use cases.
When running lots of unit tests, there is a huge number of extremely
short-lived objects (most of them live just for the duration of a single
request), whereas in real use cases most (non-local) objects live until
the end of the request.

Oli
--
Certified TYPO3 Integrator | TYPO3 Security Team Member