[TYPO3-core] Review system woes

Stefan Neufeind typo3.neufeind at speedpartner.de
Sun Feb 10 12:44:34 CET 2013

Hi,

On 02/09/2013 02:20 PM, Alexander Opitz wrote:

>> but how can this be improved? A review system is needed and a CVS is
>> needed. Many companies uses git in their company already and gerrit is
>> pretty much the same to push than a normal git repository in office.
>>
>> at least I made this experience in my company.
>
> not every agency is using git or any other VCS and why they should? Normaly
> they download the installation package, and use this to install extensions.
> Why the hell they should install git, learn git, learn gerrit to push one
> little patch back to TYPO3?

To contribute you can still easily just attach a patch-file you have to
the forge-issue and I'm quite sure usually somebody will pick it up and
throw it into the review-process for you.

>> which is just not true. Opening the system to GIT was a big success
>> because now anyone can really contribute to the core and every extension
>> using this workflow too and everybody can really check out the things of
>> a different user.
>
> There is no difference to before using GIT and this haven't to do with the
> issue/patch management. But for agencies it was easier before. There was a
> patch file in mantis which xyou download, use the patch command and all was
> done. It was easy and fast.

That might imho be a separate thing: Downloading a patch.
Gerrit currently gives you prepared URLs to download a patch. But you'll
need to have a command-line git available for that.

I've filed a feature-request towards gerrit for that:
http://forge.typo3.org/issues/45340

Kind regards,
 Stefan