[TYPO3-core] RFC 17978 -.... 30% performance drop without discussion

Benjamin Mack benni at typo3.org
Sat Feb 9 04:47:13 CET 2013

Hey Tolleiv,

thanks for stepping up here.

I agree that the patch itself is a problem in terms of performance of
fully cached pages right now, but Christian asked me explicitly if it is
ok for me as RM. He also ensured that he actually has a strategy to
cache even more of the TCA parts - and that more patches are in the
pipeline. This cleanup is just the first of them.

We argued in the Release Team about this patch, and still, I decided to
let this patch at this point of time. I somehow had a DejaVu when
Christian introduced this nasty option of the "ENABLE_CACHING_FRAMEWORK"
option in 4.3 or 4.4, and well, it was a huge downside at that moment
when we got it. I am glad we are finally over that option :) and it was
worth it. I so much enjoy the caching framework these days when using it
in my extensions, and I'm glad that all the Core caches are switched to
that API. I have a similar thought about this change here and look
forward to more optimization on the TCA and on the fully cached websites.

I am glad we're still in the middle of the development cycle and not a
week before the feature freeze. So there is a lot of time to improve the
code.

However, I agree - as you also mentioned in another post - that a
sandbox would be clearer/more visible for everybody, and maybe even a
discussion about the "TCA Roadmap" of Christian of how the next steps
will look like would be great.

@Christian: Would this be possible in a separate thread maybe?

So, please don't shut up, as I IMMENSELY want your (and the others)
opinion - that's the only way we can improve.

All the best,
Benni.