[TYPO3-core] Review system woes

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Fri Feb 8 17:09:41 CET 2013

Hi Alexander,

Alexander Opitz wrote:

>> We have two systems that solve two different problems:
>> 1) The issue tracker to keep a todo list with comments and longer
>> examples*
>> 2) The source code review system to review and discuss source
>> code changes
>
> That is bullshit, the issue tracker isn't used as todo list (for Core),
> nor does realy someone look into that issues. With discussing code
> changes inside the review system you only move issue discussion from one
> to another place. For "default" users a hard way to get into it. And it
> doesn't help to qualify your code.

The discussion about a change never took place in the issue tracker, not
even when we used mantis. It took place in a mailing list before.

As stated in the other mail, the issue tracker and the review system have
completely different addressees.

The issue tracker provides an interface for the *end users* to talk with the
devs and to keep a collection of issues (todo list for the dev).
The devs use the change control system to talk to each other.
The relevance of the dev talk is low to not existing for the end user.

The end user gets the information he needs, when a change is pending and
when it is merged.
He can also post feedback if the dev asks for more details.

Two system for two tasks.

> The code review system should be a helper and not a new place, but that
> isn't practical yet with the issue tracker and gerrit but thats a
> technical problem.
>
> The issue tracker hasn't the possibility of review votes and source code
> comments, thats something gerrit has but this function needs more
> transparent handling between the systems.

Because that is not the task of issue tracking.

Best regards
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!