[TYPO3-core] Review system woes

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Fri Feb 8 10:40:28 CET 2013

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb am 08.02.2013 09:38:
> Hi!
>
> Helmut Hummel wrote:
>> What do you expect from me (or any other core developer) to do more?
>> I now tried giving a -1 which I happily revoke if you prove me wrong.
>
> This thing was seriously slowing down the site of one huge customer,
> which uses two TYPO3 instances. After patching it wroks well and I was
> not asked to look at this site for more than half a year (earlier it was
> a regular problem for us). How can I prove to you that it is useful? I
> can't. You can give a -1 and block it. This is what you did. Nice thing
> to do given that we git rid of a huge headache with this simple patch.
>
> That's what I meant by my message: the review system does not let useful
> patches in. It is so easy to ignore or given a -1, that good stuff is
> blocked but memory increasing and slowing down patches get through. So
> the review system becomes evil, which actually makes TYPO3 seriously worse.

Dmitry, Helmut was so kind as to review your patch, give you feedback
where he had doubts about if (see his review on 21st of December) and
then even rebased your patch to the current master at the time the
namespaces were introduced.

So nothing "easy" about Helmut's -1, it has been thought and was only
meant to give you an additional hint that the patch still needs some
explanations.

Instead of investing your energy in putting down Helmuts effort you
could simply explain how this is the solution to a problem which
apparently Helmut was not able to reproduce. If this patch "works for
more than 6 months on one of your sites" is a good indicative, but still
not enough to include it in the core. That's why we have a review
system, we cannot trust that simply because it "works for you" it will
"work for everyone" (or not have any side effect).

Helmut's main point was: "If there are other possibilities where a cHash
is appended in the core, it should be fixed there", as the methods
Helmut examined were not susceptible to this problem. And thus the -1 is
a just a response to your lack of further feedback.

Cheers,
Ernesto

--
Ernesto Baschny