[TYPO3-core] Pushing to Gerrit correctly

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Apr 26 17:45:02 CEST 2013

Hi,

I guess "change in the guidelines" sounds more official than it actually
was done. We discussed it in our review chat, and basically everybody
agreed that they just "set the issue number as topic because we were
required to".

Christian argued that he had done several backports in the past reusing
the same Change-Id (which wasn't allowed in Gerrit's previous versions).

So, since:

a) we can group related changes by using the change-id:
https://review.typo3.org/#/q/I2ebfffd2ece8022136c4fcc8d0e12d552486dd32,n,z

b) we can still search for an issue (using tr:xxxxx, which searches for
the issue number in the commit message), see
https://review.typo3.org/#/q/tr:44732,n,z

the main points of using the issue number as a "topic" were gone.

This frees the topic to use it for what it originally was meant to: To
define a "scope" of the change, i.e. to group several related change
requests for a certain topic. Example topics could be "fal", "installer".

The release team has for example set "RELEASE" topic for every release
related commit, see:

https://review.typo3.org/#/q/project:TYPO3v4/Core+topic:RELEASE,n,z

The namespacing effort also used the topic before:

https://review.typo3.org/#/q/project:TYPO3v4/Core+topic:namespacing,n,z

So we dropped the requirement from the guide in Wiki (see [1] and [2])
and decided to "announce" that through the list. But I guess we forgot
to decide who was going to announce, and we simply didn't. :)

Maybe I'll just write the announcement on a separate thread to make sure
everybody reads it.

Cheers,
Ernesto

[1]