[TYPO3-core] OT Re: Strategy for deprecation log

Steffen Müller typo3 at t3node.com
Tue Apr 2 19:40:32 CEST 2013

Hi.

On 02.04.2013 17:18 Philipp Gampe wrote:
> a) Check the state of the documentation, e.g. prepare a chapter for the core
> API like Christian Kuhn did for the caching framework.

Well, SteffenG and I had submitted the documentation AND the Logging API
code in parallel in August 2012. Francois merged and published the doc
on docs.typo3.org in March 2013. So is there anything you're missing?
Then please file an issue in the forge project.

> c) Prepare a code sprint for the logging topic (t3dd?). Get in touch with
> the core leaders or the release manager if you need help/location, etc

The Logging project was driven by two t3dd workshops and two code
sprints in the last two years. I have organized both t3dd workshops and
one code sprints. So please tell me something new ;-)

> e) Poke some people (rather effective) =D

My experience from many years of open source work (incl. TYPO3
community) is: poking people might be effective to gain attraction on  a
topic, but attraction does not say anything about the deliverable
result. The result is unpredictable, because you can't force people to
deliver. That's why I never promised dates to deliver Logging stuff.
AFAIK Joey was the only one to solve this with gridelements.

Poking takes a lot of time and comes with frustration, when you see a
lot of people raising their hands to contribute, but not even tell you
when they change their minds.

For example: I did write a summary of the Loggin project by mail to 12
contributors and asked for feedback about their future involvement.
Received two answers.

--
cheers,
Steffen