[TYPO3-core] Official information about the upcoming LTS version

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Thu Sep 20 14:05:42 CEST 2012

Hi Jigal,

>> IMHO the answer is already clear and asking the community will only
>> delay the whole process. But feel free to ask around... :-)
>
> There is a difference between a demand and a need for an LTS version. As
> far as I've heard there is certainly a demand for an LTS version for the
> sole reason that clients don't have to pay for upgrades during that
> period. Patch-level upgrades are mostly covered by SLAs, but because
> minor/major upgrades can break functionality/extensions these are most
> of the time charged separately.

It's not only about clients paying or not. Some projects are just too
big that you don't want to touch them unneccessarily.
Having LTS support is perfect because it allows us to reduce the number
of (major/minor) upgrades needed and only do the patch-level upgrades.

> The result is that the community has to increase efforts for supporting
> an LTS version only to lower the costs of maintenance for clients.

It's not the only reason (see above), but for sure that is an argument.
It's an argument for clients why they should choose TYPO3 and not
something different.

And not to forget: It gives guarantee for those clients who fear that in
2 years, we would no longer support TYPO3 but only Phoenix...

> Companies like Microsoft, Oracle and others solve this by providing a
> period of extended support for customers paying extra for that support.
> This obviously doesn't fit in an OpenSource model.

That's why I said: If we lack resources for maintaining LTS versions,
the Association could help to cover these costs...

- michael
--
Michael Stucki
TYPO3 Core Team member