[TYPO3-core] Official information about the upcoming LTS version

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Sep 20 12:15:38 CEST 2012

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb am 20.09.2012 12:07:

> Michael Stucki wrote:
>> Hi Dmitry,

>>> Do you customers accept this as an argument to pay for updates?
>>
>> I don't get the point, can you please explain?
>>
>> - michael
>
> The original statement was: "There is no reason to use 4.5 further
> because the newly released 6.0 has the same expiration time as 4.5". Now
> imagine that I come to the customer and say: "Hey, you now have to
> update to 6.0 because it ends on the same day as 4.5!". I am quite sure
> the customer would ask: "Why can't I use 4.5 until it ends? I do not
> want to pay for 6.0 if the end on the same date. I already paid for 4.5
> and want to use it until it ends. I will upgrade to a newer version when
> 4.5 ends."
>
> Isn't it logical?

No it is not, because you wildly tore the sentence from Andy out of
context. If you read the whole paragraph (where you just quoted one
sentence from) it reads:

> With the release of 6.0 there is no reason to use our TYPO3 4.5
> further, because both versions got the same "End of maintenance"
> date. This is only valid for new starting projects.

Re-read the last sentence. Now you question and whole chain of arguments
doesn't make any sense anymore because Andy is not speaking of upgraders
but about new projects.

Cheers,
Ernesto