[TYPO3-core] Official information about the upcoming LTS version

Andy Grunwald [wmdb] andreas.grunwald at wmdb.de
Wed Sep 19 11:47:42 CEST 2012

Hey @all,

since January 2011, TYPO3 got his first Long Term Support (LTS) version.
This was a very good step to get "deeper" in the "enterprise" section.
Many companies rely on this version and bigger customers got a planning
reliability till April, 2014.
Of course, the "small" disadvantage for developers is the "old" and
"still maintaining" code. But hey, for many customers, this version is
good. They don`t need new features.
In general in my opinion: The first LTS was a good choice! Thumbs up to
all people which was involved in this process.

Now we got September 2012.
The next version of our lovely CMS (6.0) is just around the corner.
With the release of 6.0 there is no reason to use our TYPO3 4.5 further,
because both versions got the same "End of maintenance" date. This is
only valid for new starting projects.
Older projects which run on TYPO3 4.5 don`t have the need to update till
April, 2014.

With this information in mind, i ask myself if there will be a new LTS
version. If yes, when there will be some official information /
statement about this?
Are they any official (!) information about this out there?

Why is this so important:
* Budget planning: Some companies got bigger customers (like a big /
worldwide concern). Those companies got every year budget planning for
there internal departments. This have to plan early!
* Transition time: To release a new LTS version without a transition
time from the old to the new one wont be a idea. Not every company /
customer is the position to upgrade immediately their TYPO3
installations. So they must be a transition time (1 year? 1/2 year?)
between those two LTS versions.

And why was this posted to the mailinglist and the community and not via
email to the release team?
Because i want to get your voices into it.
I want to know if i`m the only one with this thoughts or are they other
people who think in the same direction.

Perhaps the TYPO3 (Marketing, Release, Plannung, whatever)-Team creates
an officical statement / roadmap for this LTS plan.

Love you <3

All the best,
Andy