[TYPO3-core] Git Experts: Fix amnesia?

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Mon Oct 22 19:17:53 CEST 2012

Hi Karsten,

Am 18.10.2012 22:08, schrieb Karsten Dambekalns:
> On 18.10.2012, at 10:56, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] <ernst at cron-it.de> wrote:
>> I don't think it's worth to do any complex git task now on this matter.
>
> I second that. For Flow and Neos we also did not do any further magic, except for one change where I split it into rename and changes - without any difference in the end result. So, not needed.:)

Just wondering: What do you mean exactly? There's no difference because
there are "git log --follow" and "git annotate -C"?

IMHO this seems like a valid option for us, even if it is not supported
by most graphical tools, including tig.

I was still wondering how the feature works, and found those interesting
posts which made it more clear for me:

*
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6796997/gitk-equivalent-of-git-log-follow-full-path-to-file
*
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3520023/how-does-git-track-history-during-a-refactoring/3520055#3520055
* http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/147089

In the last post, Linus mentions that one should not prune commits at
all. I'm wondering if and how we have to care about this? Is there
anything we can do to prevent accidential usage of git-prune?

- michael
--
Michael Stucki
TYPO3 Core Team member